Should you ride with a Ski-Doo GPS? But, wait, do they have a GPS unit?
Do you think Ski-Doo manufactures GPS units by the name of Montana GPS?
No, Ski-Doo doesn’t make GPS units. But, they have a mobile application ‘BRP GO’.
Today, we’ll talk about all the things related to Ski-Doo and GPS navigation.
Does Ski-Doo Manufacture GPS Units?
While BRP, the parent company of Ski-Doo, is a renowned manufacturer of snowmobiles, they do not produce their own GPS units. However, they have developed a mobile application “BRP GO”.
This mobile application, which is available on both Google Play and the Apple App Store, allows you to connect your smartphone to the touchscreen display of your Ski-Doo snowmobile via a USB cable.
Once connected, you can safely store your smartphone in the glove box and conveniently operate the Navigation menu from the sled’s display. This functionality is available on a 7.8″ LCD display and a 10.25″ touchscreen display that comes with select models.
However, you can also see a Montana GPS on their official website. When I saw Montana GPS on the Ski-Doo website, I also got confused just like many people, and I remember, I asked my friend ‘Does Ski-Doo make GPS units?’
His answer was “Ski-Doo does not produce its own GPS units, but they have partnered with Garmin to create a specialized bracket for its popular Montana GPS system. This allows riders to easily mount their Montana device onto their Ski-Doo.“
Exploring the BRP GO App Features (Your New Ski-Doo GPS)
BRP GO is a mobile app developed by BRP, the parent company of Ski-Doo. It allows users to connect their smartphone to their Ski-Doo snowmobile’s touchscreen display and use navigation on the touchscreen display.
Once you’ve connected the BRP Go app to your Ski-Doo’s display, your snowmobiling experience levels up significantly. You can record all your rides, allowing you to relive those thrilling adventures whenever you want.
It provides turn-by-turn directions on the trail, transforming your smartphone into a practical snowmobile GPS while keeping it safely stored in your snowmobile’s glove box.
But that’s not all!
If you’re riding with your crew, it also allows you to track each member’s location in real-time on its map. This way, you can see the location of all your team members and never lose track of your friends. These are just a few of the benefits of using the BRP Go. Trust me, once you’ve tried it, you won’t ever want to hit the trails without it.
While the BRP Go app is a game-changer, it’s essential to note that a few features are only accessible from your smartphone.
Planning rides, adding friends, and downloading maps for offline use, for instance, can’t be operated from the vehicle’s display. Instead, these features require interaction through the phone.
This means, that before you hit the trail, you need to strategize your journey, add your companions, and download the necessary maps from your smartphone. Even though it involves a bit more initial planning, I promise, it’s worth it. But, it’s not the best GPS for snowmobiles, it’s just a better mobile application, and it can’t compete with Garmin.
How Do I Use BRP GO With My Ski-Doo?
If you’re looking for a way to enhance your snowmobiling experience, the BRP GO! app is the perfect tool for you. Here’s how you can use it:
- Download the BRP GO! App: First, you need to download the BRP GO! app on your smartphone. It’s available for both iPhone and Android users.
- Choose the Options: To explore all the features, just open the app. Once inside, navigate to the “Snow” playground and access the “Navigation” section. Here, you’ll find a map displaying official snowmobile trails and points of interest (available in supported regions). Take advantage of the ability to view your upcoming and completed rides, plan exciting new adventures, and even add friends to see their location on the map.
- Connect Your Device to Your Snowmobile: To access the navigation feature on your touchscreen display, open the App menu on your vehicle’s screen. From there, locate and select the Navigation app. Next, establish a connection between your mobile device and your snowmobile by using a USB cable. And, for that a Bluetooth connection is not required.
- Unlock Your Device and Store it in the Glovebox: After connecting, unlock your device screen, open the BRP GO! app, and store your phone in the glove box. You can then use your sled’s display to operate the Navigation menu.
- Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues: Some people may experience connectivity issues while using the app. To resolve this, make sure your mobile device’s screen is unlocked and that you have a USB cable connected to your snowmobile. Also, ensure that the BRP GO! app is updated to its latest version.
The BRP GO application is good, but when I checked the Google Play Store, I saw many negative reviews. Most of the complaints were about connectivity issues and crashes. However, based on my personal experience, I have not encountered any major problems with the app. In fact, it has enhanced my snowmobiling experience by providing easy navigation and ride-tracking features.
Some people also complained about the missing of important features. But, BRP GO is constantly updating its app to improve user experience and fix any bugs. So, if you encounter any issues, make sure to check for updates and report any problems to BRP customer support.
Overall, the BRP GO app is a handy tool for using your smartphone GPS for snowmobile trails that adds convenience and fun to their rides. And with advancements in technology, it’s exciting to see what other features will be added in the future. So, don’t forget to download the app and enhance your snowmobiling experience.